Monday, January 24, 2011

Clair Voyante

While sitting with Hawa and a couple friends in the downstairs salon (the room with couches and coffeetable), a lady barges and makes her arrival well known. I assumed she was another one of Hawa's friends because in Senegal it seems that you give the same greeting to an old friend as to a stranger most of the time. After greeting all in the room, she comes over to me and asks to see my hands. A palm reading! I've never really had one- I don't count the ones where I look at a guide and try to navigate my life and love lines. She starts speaking in Wolof, so basically jibberish to me, and I can't tell what my reaction should be to what she's saying because she really wasn't giving me anything to go off of, no smiling or no looks of pity. I just kind of sat there and smiled and nodded my head- as I usually do when someone speaks to me in Wolof- for all I know she could have been telling me that I was going to die by the time I hit 32. I did pick up on one thing and had it something to do with finding a husband but weather it was the fact that I'll never find one or I'll leave Senegal with 5, I couldn't tell. It sounded like she was saying that if I wanted a husband right now, I could find one. I was like ummm this isn't news to me, do you know how many marriage proposals I've had in the last 3 weeks??
  Well I had my friend Paulette translate into French what the seer told me and it goes a little something like this (Pretend this is the voyante speaking):  "You are pure and travel down a good road. If you continue like this you will be better that a lot of others. You must go out and give to the beggar children 7 candles, 7 morsels of sugar, and 7 pieces of white paper. After you have done that (she looked down at my palms again, and continued...) you will have a good job and a good husband who will have a lot of money. And after you find your husband you will send me 5,000 Fcfa (equivalent of $10)."  She went on to tell me that I also resembled her son's wife who lives in Italy and that she loves me.
 After Paulette had finished helping understand what the seer had said I asker Paulette if she believe that what the seer said is true and if what she said could actually happen. She told me that as a part of their culture they believe that certain people do have the power to see into the future and that she believes if I accomplish my alms giving to the beggar children my future that has been predicted will actually come to pass. Woot woot rich husband here I come?!

No comments:

Post a Comment